- 6 T Unsalted butter, plus more for pan
- 1 1/2 C Flour, plus more for pan
- 1 1/2 C Sugar
- 1/4 C Dry Milk powder
- 2 1/2 T Cornstarch
- 2 t Baking Powder
- 1 t Kosher salt
- 1 C Spiced Rum (e.g. Captain Morgan's)
- 1/3 C Milk
- 1/3 C Canola Oil
- 2 t Vanilla
- 3 Eggs
One of our favorites at KC is a good butter rum cake. We took our recipe and spiced it up a bit, soaked it in a spiced rum syrup, and topped it with vanilla bean frosting. We hope you enjoy!
1. Heat oven to 325°. Whisk together flour, 1¾ cups sugar, milk powder, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl; set aside. Whisk together ½ cup rum, milk, oil, vanilla, and eggs in a medium bowl until smooth; pour over dry ingredients, and whisk until just combined. Pour batter into prepared pan, and smooth top; bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
2. Bring butter, remaining sugar, and ¼ cup water to a boil in a 2-qt. saucepan over high heat; cook, stirring to dissolve sugar, for 5-8 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in remaining rum. Poke holes in cupcakes. Brush syrup over tops of cupcakes, letting it soak into the cake as you go.
The above listed ingredients are for the cake; additional ingredients will be necessary for the following:
1/2 C butter
3-4 C powdered sugar
1/2 C heavy cream
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and scraped
Whip the butter, sugar, and cream together until light. Scrape the vanilla bean and whip into the frosting until the specks are evenly distributed. Adjust the texture of the frosting as needed with cream or powdered sugar.